Re: thal moved to new location

On 26/09/06, heer <heer at u dot washington dot edu> wrote:
Khaled,

        You might want to take a look at the two keyboards Sakhr used to
use for its old DOS Arabic programs (one for QWERTY and the other for
AZERTY) and also the ASMO 663 keyboard.  You can find them in old Sakhr
manuals.  All three keyboards put thal in a better position.  I've never
understood why the IBM keyboard became the de facto standard for Arabic.
Could it be because Microsoft adopted it? :)

Nicholas

I still have one of Sakhr's old MSX micro-computers. The switch from that layout to the one on PCs not comfy. However, it is far from being well layed-out. Again, Sakhr used to group similar looking letters together: ذ would be shift-د and ز shift-ر, if I remember really well.

At one point in time, Microsoft was working with different Arabic
layouts for MSX (Microsoft X) and PC, both without
foundation/research. Not very wise, if you ask me.

I absolutely second Jim that the matter needs an ergonomic expert to
create a more efficient keyboard.