Re: Certifying the Quran data files.

Sorry for the late reply (finally cleaning out and attending to
all email in my inbox).

--- Kamal Mugahid <binmugahid at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I think the issue here guys is that somebody needs to read text and
> compare it to a Mushaf.
> Usually, Certified readers do that, but since we don't know any with
> Linux experience, the easiest way is to hand this over to somebody who
> will take responsibility in saying that he compared every letter of
> the mashaf with what is on Quraan Software and authenticate it. This
> is a task that takes no more than a month at worst.

Are these certification readers a known quantity ?  In other words
are they sanctioned by any well-known and respected religious entities ?

> For the Record: Certification is comparing the text the way it is
> rendered on the software end with the Mushaf, letter by letter,
> including tashkeel and the other punctuations.

Yeah our concern was what if something changes in the font file - would
that render the certification void ?  How will that happen and who will
oversee all of this ?  The required characters to render the entire Quran
have _NOT_ be specified in Unicode (and they need to be !) and that is
one reason why there isn't a single "legal"/correct font that can be used.
In short, what I'm getting at is - there will most likely be changes so
does that mean we should only seek certification once we are completely done
with what we want to do ?

What about translations of the Quran ?  Is there a body/organization out
there that reads/certifies translations to note their validity in the
various translations out there (Japanese, Russian, etc) ?