Re: AIG - what of it ?

--- Ahmad Khalifa <ahmad at khalifa dot ws> wrote:
> > From: Muhammad Alkarouri <malkarouri at yahoo dot co dot uk>
>
> > From my experience regarding another standardisation effort, it
> > is very difficult to have a serious and continuing dedication,
> > like working daily on it. So I propose a different method of
> > activity.
> >
> > The maintainer starts a mailing thread on which he suggests the
> > topic and solicits feedback. Whoever is interested gives feedback,
> > and then the maintainer summaries the thread as the current document,
> > which will be the base of the next thread, kindof like doing it
> > in sprints.
> >
> > Any differences while discussion are arbitrated in the document by
> > the maintainer.
> >
> > Please regard this as an idea needs to be fleshed. It makes it easier
> > on the maintainer, rather than letting him doing all of the work.
>
> I agree with Alkarouri on this technique (or whatever you call it). This
> way I can participate (and others too) with any comments If I have any.

I too agree.

> I know that some people might suggest a wiki for this ;) but I think a
> discussion would be more appropriate to show different opinions without
> affecting the final document.

The 'doc' list seems appropriate, no ?

> Muhammad, how do you suggest this be initiated ? Does the maintainer
> setup an initial structure for the document or what ?

The maintainer seems to be (and has been for the past 2-3 months) super
busy, so I highly suggest that we get the ball-rolling ourselves and
relinquish it if/when needed.

So simply put, what do we want to tell developers at-large out there
about Arabic for them to be aware and educated enough about our issues ?
What sort of GUI guidelines, arrow directions, etc, etc.

NOTE: I wasn't involved in any of this and am merely acting as a
      alarm-clock reminder - so forgive me if I've left out various
      important subtopics.

I also think at some point soon we really need to get various people
together to put a 'terminal-emulator control-character expectations"
document (ie. what to expect from the cursor when you tell it up-arrow
or forward word and you have mixed Arabic/English, etc), so this is
beyond the AIG paper so let's not confuse the two.