Re: Charset API for C++

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 05:10:53PM +0400, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 16:51, Lemine Abdallahi wrote:
>
> > I didnt say it is necessary to have an implementation for each programming
> > language. But , what about a repository of templates for implementing
> > "basic" input output operations following the recommendations described here
> > :
> >
> > http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/sais-en/asl.html
> >
> > and here
> >
> > http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/sais-en/asl-apps.html
> >
> > Issuing recommendations is good, giving examples, building blocks or
> > libraries that conform to these recommendations is better ...
> > By the way, excellent job, M. Muhammad Alkarouri !!
> >

> You are right. Though, what you are asking for specifically is something
> that is often a part of a bigger library and I have not seen it all by
> itself except in libiconv [1] (and even that, does more than what you
> need). I believe Katoob [2] uses libiconv as well.

Yes, what I am looking for is merely a "Quick and Dirty Input Output
Code" which is compliant with the recommendations and which is useful for
projects in which  the I/O is secondary.
I think no library is implemented with this goal in mind, but a lot of developpers do it without noticing.

> > This repository may be filled through user (developper) contributions ...
> > for future projects benefit.
> >

> Then start a wiki [3] page and others will update it as things like that
> come up ;)

Good Idea. May it be named "Application compliance across programming
languages" ? where users can give ideas and/or code for implementing
compliant code for their respective favorite language(s) ....

> Off-Topic: I love it when people quote documents from Arabeyes -- it
> means they have done their homework ;)

Do it the professional way !!! Documentation is made to be read,
especially if it gives valuable content.

> > Sure, Unicode is THE STANDRARD. I agree with you. But , for a novice
> > developper, It is always frustrating to reimplement everything from
> > scratch ...
> >

> Again, you are right.. I just think character conversion is too simple
> to have to write about it. You may consider it to be important and you
> may very well be right -- the best thing to do is to follow some of the
> above mentioned suggestions.

I think I will dive into the various libraries code.

> It is also worth noting that you should be aware of the LAM ALEF issue
> [4] in iconv.

> [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/
> [2] http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=katoob
> [3] http://wiki.arabeyes.org/