Re: Charset API for C++

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 02:10:33PM +0300, ahmad at khalifa dot ws wrote:

> Quoting Lemine Abdallahi <lemine dot abdallahi at wanadoo dot fr>:
> > You are right. ICU is open source. To be precise, I think it is "IBM open
> > source", which is not exactly "open source". It is also, as you mentioned,
>
> dont understand what you mean, if you want a certain feature and the licence
> allows it, then go ahead  and use it, I dont see the problem.
>
> > HUGE and
> >  I'm afraid it is not easy to learn or simplify.
>
> yeah, and lots of dependencies everywhere...

Yes, this is what I wanted to mean by "IBM open source". You have to deal
with a lot of unnecessary code and complex dependencies. I don't like corporate
software anyway ( don't ask me why , that's a personal phoby lol ). this
is without speaking about legal issues.

> > Does anybody have some experience using ICU for Arabic ?
>
> I do, but with the bidi features, I probably forgot that by now
>
> try looking at other alternatives from the UNICODE-HOWTO you mentioned, Im
> sure they all generate very similar results (if not the same).
> I do hear a lot about iconv, so maybe you should look into libiconv a bit
> more...

This is exactly what I am looking for. real world experience with APIs. What API do Arabeyes software projects use for charset issues ?

Thank you for your feedback on ICU. still need feedback on other APIs.

I have some preference for iconv because it is GPL and Linux (glibc) standard, but is it really portable ? very likely.

LA.