Re: Charset API for C++

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 01:43:19PM +0300, Ahmad Khalifa wrote:

> Quoting lemine dot abdallahi at wanadoo dot fr:
> > To be precise: A lot of APIs exist in the nature, some are not easy to use
> > (recode,  libiconv (C) ), some are proprietary ( IBM ICU ), some are not
> > standard ( ?? The problem is to define what a standard is ).
> > How to make a realistic choice which follows a "standard" which is not
> > difficult to use and not patented ... ?
>
> ICU is MIT-like Lisenced, so you can use it (if you choose to) in any project,
> open source or commercial. Its only problem is that its a huge Library, if you
> can extract the conversion code only, then you should use it... It complies to
> standards...

first, thank you for the quick reply.

You are right. ICU is open source. To be precise, I think it is "IBM open source", which is not exactly "open source". It is also, as you mentioned, HUGE and
 I'm afraid it is not easy to learn or simplify.

Does anybody have some experience using ICU for Arabic ?

LA.