Re: Sequential Fathatan Final Form (Items 9 and 10)

On Thursday 17 June 2004 00:52, Thomas Milo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 June 2004 20:08, Thomas Milo wrote:
> > > ayyuhaa saadaatii,
> >
> >  Sorry?
>
> ?

 I don't understand the meaning of these two words

> > > Regarding the sample /luuTa-n/, please compare Q6:86, Q7:80, Q11:77,
> > > Q21:71, Q21:74, Q27:54, Q29:28, Q29:32, Q29:33 and Q37:133.
> > >
> > > The word occurs in various tajweed variations,
> >
> >   Yes of course because it depends on the first letter of the second
> > word.
>
> We all know, don't we?

  Please don't get offended we all know that:
    "The word occurs in various tajweed variations"
  But I didn't get offended
  and notice the "of course" to imply that this is known.

> > > I all mushafs inspected I can see all variations of fatHatan clearly
> > > positioned to the right of the alif. The Cairo typographer left tanween
> > > fatha on top the governing letter in all cases.
> > >
> > > The mushafs in Ottoman Naskh style show a strong preference to allow
>
> single
>
> > > or double fatha _of the preceding letter_ to touch the following alif.
> >
> >  It seems to me like the most popular mushaf by QuranComplex hasn't
>
> reached
>
> >  you yet nor did the older (that are populary used) Haramain, Shamarly
> > nor
>
> the
>
> >  one by the Egyptian ministry of education.
> >  Anyway, I can guess that the masahef you checked are only used for
>
> research.
>
> No, I am referring to the reprint of the King Fuad Qur'an that was prepared
> by our partners Tradigital of Cairo (ma`aadii)
>
> http://www.tradigital.de/

  then it seems like they gave you historic masahef.
  Please in the future if you want to get a mushaf, refer go directly to
  Islamic organizations.
  In Egypt, Al-Azhar is way to go not Tradigital or any non-Islamic
  non-authorized bodies.

  In Egypt, this mamluki mushaf is almost not used.
  Instead Egyptians use not only Saudi masahef but those done by
  Al-Azhar like Al-Shamarly mushaf and various other unnamed
  masahef which are certified by Al-Azhar

  http://www.al-azhar.org/

> I would appreciate it if you could scans of a few of the words referred to
> above as rendered in the Saudi edition.

  or any from the egyptain masahef I mentioned please anyone who has
  a scanner.

> >  Please understand that we have the problem of how to display all these
> >  various variations (with the populary used masahef as a priority).
> >  My point is that we need the one mentioned in the sample.
>
> I do understand.
>
> >  Please suggest a way for us to display it like that keeping in mind that
> >  if we positioned fathatan + Alef this way in the font using GPOS tables,
> >  it would break any regular text (The font will become useless for any
> >  regular Arabic text).
>
> Having seen you last examples, I think we need to investigate if there
> aren't already Unicode points that like Zero Width non-joiner that could be
> used to add the necessary behaviour without creating a new code for what
> essentially is a superscript alif.

  Please call it as the mushaf call it, a small Alef, like a small Yeh.

  BTW: Thanks very much for understanding what I meant.

--
Mohammed Yousif
Egypt