Re: Sequential Fathatan Final Form (Items 9 and 10)

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 20:08, Thomas Milo wrote:
> ayyuhaa saadaatii,

 Sorry?

> Regarding the sample /luuTa-n/, please compare Q6:86, Q7:80, Q11:77,
> Q21:71, Q21:74, Q27:54, Q29:28, Q29:32, Q29:33 and Q37:133.
>
> The word occurs in various tajweed variations,

  Yes of course because it depends on the first letter of the second word.

> I all mushafs inspected I can see all variations of fatHatan clearly
> positioned to the right of the alif. The Cairo typographer left tanween
> fatha on top the governing letter in all cases.
>
> The mushafs in Ottoman Naskh style show a strong preference to allow single
> or double fatha _of the preceding letter_ to touch the following alif.

 It seems to me like the most popular mushaf by QuranComplex hasn't reached
 you yet nor did the older (that are populary used) Haramain, Shamarly nor the
 one by the Egyptian ministry of education.
 Anyway, I can guess that the masahef you checked are only used for research.

 Please understand that we have the problem of how to display all these
 various variations (with the populary used masahef as a priority).
 My point is that we need the one mentioned in the sample.

 Please suggest a way for us to display it like that keeping in mind that
 if we positioned fathatan + Alef this way in the font using GPOS tables,
 it would break any regular text (The font will become useless for any
 regular Arabic text).

--
Mohammed Yousif
Egypt