Re: Some Points, about Arabeyes [Part I]

--- Muhammad Alkarouri <malkarouri at yahoo dot co dot uk> wrote:

[snip snip]

I'm including various tidbit to assert my "list" below :-)

> That is what I am speaking about. Not that Arabeyes needs to make policies.
> The policies that it actually had to make should be documented. Some times.
> there is a need, which you mention by "the policy is of grave importance".
> In such a case I would rather have an answer: please check wiki page X,
> than have an answer: why did you do that don't you know that this is
> prohibited.
>
> > Yup, I can't agree more - and many of us shout and scream about this.
> > Its been noted time and again that any serious topic that concerns the
> > overall project (or other people) must be noted on the mailing-lists.
> > I often get told things on IRC upon which time I reply back with
> > "don't tell me, tell the mailing-list !!".  I recall our talks on IRC
> > (along while back) about OCR - your enthusiasm was applauded but I
> > promptly requested that you publish your thoughts/plan on the mailing-list.
>
> This is a good example of such a case. What we need to do is make it a
> policy or, more specifically, document this policy.
>
> > > b. All important correspondence should be through public e-mail,
> > >    as it is already archived.
> >
> > That's why the very first email you get from Arabeyes spends 50% of the
> > correspondence talking about 'communication' and people's need/requirement
> > to subscribe to the mailing-lists.  In short, we are already doing that.
>
> I have suggested before adding some links, like the charter, about, etc. to
> this e-mail.
>
> > > c. Every document should be dated. Yes, that includes the charter and
> > >    the manifesto.
> >
> > Every document is in CVS which inherently includes a date - ie. again its
> > there.  You might be looking at a produced (HTML) doc that was sourced
> > from something on CVS (point those docs out and we'll take care of 'em).
>
> The charter and the manifesto :)

OK, so being a "list" lover and one that wants and strives for
simplicity, results and sticking to the point - I'm hearing the
following suggestions/remarks,

 1. Add a policy document to list already existing policies
    - Include in it things that are expected and things that should be
      avoided (like making decisions on IRC and not airing them out, etc)
 2. Add charter/manifesto links to "welcome" emails
 3. Add dates to all documents (HTML)
    - Add dates to charter and manifesto docs (outside the realm of CVS)

Did I miss anything ?  If not what is noted above seems logical and simple
enough to do (given 'core' agrees with it and I can't see why they wouldn't
but I can't speak for "arabeyes" proper without their consent).

> As for transparency, it was suggested that not everybody has the right to
> know our decisions. I was merely referring to the already existing culture.

Not sure where or who noted this - but I can't think of a situation where
this has been the case on Arabeyes.  Keep in mind that people talk as they
see fit but that doesn't constitute "policy" - there should be a clear
delineation between me saying something and it being Arabeyes' stance
(I can push for the topic to be discussed so that we have an Arabeyes
stance on it, but that's all I can do).  In short, what I say is worthless,
what 'core' agrees upon or decides is what goes (and 'core' is _very_ open
minded and very inclusive).  Again, Arabeyes has been very open and
transparent about _everything_ and I for the record don't agree with
the statement above at all and it most certainly is NOT part of an
"already existing culture".

Let's focus on what needs to get done to improve things and not get into