Re: Arabic fonts will be accpeted in to gnome!

On Sunday 06 June 2004 11:29, Arafat Medini wrote:
> في ح, 2004-06-06 السّاعة 09:04 +0200, Youcef Rabah Rahal كتب:

> take a look at this screenshot:
>
> http://www.silverpen.de/fonts2.png

Hehe... Now I'm famous ;)

> As you can see:
>
> +the Arabic Kacst fonts are an indirect rip of bitstream cyberbit! So no
> real innovation here.
> +They lack contrast, and don't have natural design.
> in every font at least one letter is not good.
> +They are too linear not smoot like tahoma for eg. so they hurt they
> eyes, especially if you'll use them in everyday life.
> +The only font that looks promising is KacstQura but it has major
> problem with resizing.(kacstQura at 9 pts)
> +I am for a fast solution, and as long as I can see Arabic with these
> fonts they are for me Arabic fonts, technology is technology there isn't
> Arabic or persian technology as long as the output is the same.

I'm not talking about the technology ! I'm talking about the style: as you
know, style differ for Arabic/Persian/Urdu/... when it comes to the visual
display of the letters. Anyway, these Persian fonts seem fine to me (ie
readable with my Arab's eyes ;)

> > If not, we should then suggest to add Arabic fonts (khotot) _and_ Persian
> > ones.
>
> we can't there is only one fonts called bitstream cyberbit, and the
> fonts will be maybe included in it, so at the end only one font will be
> chosen, as if you start tahoma and you only have one Arabic font. But
> maybe the fonts will be destributed separately in this case I am
> naturally in fvour of some Kacst fonts BUT they are still not good
> enough, and who works wins...

I'm talking about Khotot ones not KACST

http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Khotot

There is a wide choice of styles among these fonts and they're quite nice
(except for the Latin chars which are now... well, 'ugly' ;). You should take
a look at them.

Anyway, you take the full responsability of your declarations about KACST
fonts :-))

Salam,

- --
Youcef R. Rahal