Re: Arabic fonts will be accpeted in to gnome!

في ح, 2004-06-06 السّاعة 09:04 +0200, Youcef Rabah Rahal كتب:

> On Saturday 05 June 2004 14:26, Arafat Medini wrote:
> > Salam all,
> >
> > Had some preliminary discussions with Telsa, about the inclusion of the
> > persian fonts pack into the official gnome font release, as it turned
> > out the dudes at gnome were also thinking of including cyrillic, and
> > other fonts too... so it was really good timing! So naturally they were
> > totally in favour of getting the fonts into the pack!
> >
> > This needs some more work and discussions and I have to contact roozbeh
> > now. But all in all, I can say that the fonts will be in ;) (well at
> > least I hope it all ends as it started ;)
> >
> > yours
> > Arafat
>
> BTW, are these fonts suitable for Arabic ? (never tried them really). ie, is
> their design fine with Arabic style (not Farsi one) ?

take a look at this screenshot:

http://www.silverpen.de/fonts2.png

As you can see:

+the Arabic Kacst fonts are an indirect rip of bitstream cyberbit! So no
real innovation here.
+They lack contrast, and don't have natural design.
in every font at least one letter is not good.
+They are too linear not smoot like tahoma for eg. so they hurt they
eyes, especially if you'll use them in everyday life.
+The only font that looks promising is KacstQura but it has major
problem with resizing.(kacstQura at 9 pts)
+I am for a fast solution, and as long as I can see Arabic with these
fonts they are for me Arabic fonts, technology is technology there isn't
Arabic or persian technology as long as the output is the same.

> If not, we should then suggest to add Arabic fonts (khotot) _and_ Persian
> ones.

we can't there is only one fonts called bitstream cyberbit, and the
fonts will be maybe included in it, so at the end only one font will be
chosen, as if you start tahoma and you only have one Arabic font. But
maybe the fonts will be destributed separately in this case I am
naturally in fvour of some Kacst fonts BUT they are still not good
enough, and who works wins...

> Salam,
Salam