Re: keeping this list inclusive and focused

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:56:56AM -0700, Leston Buell wrote:

> Hey, guys, i think that the idea of Arabizing Linux is a great idea and
> a worthwhile project. It's my understanding that this is the whole point
> of ArabEyes.org and of this mailing list, which is why i'm subscribed to
> it. Furthermore, i also think it's great that Quranic software is being
> developed. However, i think that messages exorting us to "spread Islam"
> and the like fall outside the scope of this particular project and this
> mailing list, as not all Arabic-speakers are Muslim and neither are all
> people subscribed to this list. Let's make this a comfortable place for
> everyone interested in Arabizing Linux, not just for those whose
> practise a particular religion. We can do this by keeping messages
> focused on the prime goal of this organization, which is Arabizing Linux.

Salam,

You are right on many aspects, and i tend to agree with you that the
lists are specifically for Linux Arabization and issues related.
However, and despite M.Yousif's ill-worded response, I do see his point
with regard to the specific needs of his project.

In short, occasionally you will find a line or 2 with some religious
connotation. If you don't feel that it is directed toward you, simply
ignore it.. the same way you would ignore any other post that is of no
interest to you.

As far as signatures, as long as it does not include profanity (which is
obviously offensive and does not serve the professionalism we try to
adhere to), then it is the person's right to put whatever they want in
their signature. However, I would like to note that the signature you
quoted above (which I removed from my reply), is slightly too long and
could probably be shortened.

M.Yousif was simply trying to motivate people to work on the project. It
is a Quran project, and if that is not Muslim oriented, I don't know
what is. M.Yousif's wording is probably not the best, but English is not
his first language (neither is it for the vast majority of the people on
this or other Arabeyes lists)... so sometimes you need to adjust the
interpretation with that in mind.

Okay, I'm done.

later
Mohammed Elzubeir