Re: keeping this list inclusive and focused

On Friday 08 August 2003 19:56, Leston Buell wrote:
> > From: Mohammed Yousif <mhdyousif at gmx dot net>
> >   Anyone? please help spread Islam!
> >
>  > From: "Ahmad" <msx at hush dot com>
>  > The media classifies Muslims as terrorists, highjackers
>  > and kidnappers.
>  > So why would anyone even look at Islam?
>  > Why are so many priests and preachers going to Islam?
>  > http://www.TodayIslam.com/yusuf.htm
>  > http://www.Jews-For-Allah.org
>
> Hey, guys, i think that the idea of Arabizing Linux is a great idea and
> a worthwhile project. It's my understanding that this is the whole point
> of ArabEyes.org and of this mailing list, which is why i'm subscribed to
> it. Furthermore, i also think it's great that Quranic software is being
> developed. However, i think that messages exorting us to "spread Islam"
> and the like fall outside the scope of this particular project and this
> mailing list, as not all Arabic-speakers are Muslim and neither are all
> people subscribed to this list. Let's make this a comfortable place for
> everyone interested in Arabizing Linux, not just for those whose
> practise a particular religion. We can do this by keeping messages
> focused on the prime goal of this organization, which is Arabizing Linux.
>
> I am tempted to say much more, but have decided to heed my own
> suggestion of staying on topic. :-)
>
> Leston "Bulbul" Buell

 You are probably right, but when said 'help spread islam' I meant to use
 it as a motivational factor (and yeah, it WORKED, see the first email in the
 thread "KacstQr is incomplete", you can notice that no one volunteered but
 when I used that phrase, things have changed and I got volunteers "not only
 on the list but privately too") so it was simply _important_ to motivate
 people and without using these motivational words I wouldn't have started
 the project in the first place.
 So, it's _critical_ for such religious projects to use these phrases and
 these are adressed only to those who are interested, if you don't like
 it, then it's not for you and you can just ignore it provided that it's not
 offending (which I think is not indeed).
 But I'm not the one who decides which words not to use in this mailing-list
 so this is for Arabeyes Admins:
   "This project needs such things and most probably will continue to need
    them and whether it's meant or not, the mailing-list that I'm using for
    this project should _always_ be open to such words.
    If this is not the case with Arabeyes mailing-lists, I and the other
    people working on that project (I'm talking on behalf of them because
    I know them and I know they share the same feelings toward this
    project as myself) can transfer the project to somewhere else that is
    appropriate instead of limiting us if there are any limits we shouldn't
    bypass as this is not the only complain I got about that and the
    issue is rather sensitive for us and for the people who complain.
    And if your decision is still to host that project, then we _need_
    a permission to post religious texts in the mailing-list"

 And about the other paragraph, it's only a signature and the person who
 wrote it is the responsible for it and it has nothing to do with the list

--
Mohammed Yousif
"Ich liebe ihr, weil ohne sie kann ich nicht bin!"