Re: Some Translation issues we discussed.

***Abbreviations:

He recommanded translating the non abbbreviated name to arabic, and
then abbreviating the translation using arabic rules.
e.g. IP
Internet Protocol = بروتوكول الإنترنت
IP = ب.إ
بروتوكول  is a proper arabic word
However, he said we do have a responsabiltiy to explain the new terms
we are generating. AFAIK Qamoose is not easily accessed from the main
website, and is not using our technical dictionary. We need to revive
it, and we need an accessible dict server, with easy clients for
windows and linux etc.
Good , if this is fine with all of you, I can(or anyone) start a page on the wiki to do the job of explaining these new terms until we figure something better. lets say 'Introduced Words' or 'New Words' ... your choice ... can we say that ب.إ is the first abbreviation gets introduced to Arabic? or not yet?

***أمر/مصدر:

Translate it just how it is done in English. It is not appropiate to
use مصدر when there is an action to be invoked. However, we use مصدر
when it is for explanation, not initiating an action.

Thanks for clearing that up , I agree...

Now the issue is when to know the word is used for explanation or for
initiating an action. In which case, it is best to just use the verb,
because it is less ambiguous than using the noun for the user.

Exactly

*** Some words we discusses:

These are some of the words we discussed that I can remember off the
top of my head. Other words will make it to essential.po, we agreed
that he is going to make some changes to it and deliver it to me
sometime soon. He is very good at understanding the terminology we use
in computers and clever at finding equivalents.
* mute = صه
In places where it is appropriate, like a button in media player. I
think it is neat and short. It is used in "warsh" riwaya of Quran, the
one that was written by Said Sherifi (In Algeria).
I don't like using صامت for this word, because I use it for 'silent' ... I think صه is the imperative form .. right? if so .. what is the other forms? say .. how to translate 'The man at the corner is muted.' ?

* Accessibility = إتاحة
But what about 'available'?

He also strongly suggested translating the words in lexicons, as I
described in the wiki here [2], I think we should make use of this
extensively. It may be more work, but it usually guarantees
non-redundant translations.

I asked in the 'page discussion' and waiting for an answer...

Mohamed