Re: Some Translation issues we discussed.

On 10/15/06, Djihed Afifi <djihedlists at googlemail dot com> wrote:
***أمر/مصدر:

Translate it just how it is done in English. It is not appropiate to
use مصدر when there is an action to be invoked. However, we use مصدر
when it is for explanation, not initiating an action. e.g.:
Let's say we have a dialog for deleting everything from the trash, and
the dialog looks like this:
-----------------------------------
Delete all contents from the trash

-------
delete
-------
-----------------------------------

Where "delete" is in a button. In the first we use مصدر, in the second
we use the verb.
Now the issue is when to know the word is used for explanation or for
initiating an action. In which case, it is best to just use the verb,
because it is less ambiguous than using the noun for the user.

Could you explain with more examples please.

and thanks for the valuable effort, keep on good work.

--
Khaled Hosny

Egyptian GNU/Linux user
Member of Arabeyes translation team [www.arabeyes.org]