Re: Arabeyes Translation Teams.

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 01:50:27PM +0100, Djihed Afifi wrote:
> >I'm saying that the amount of projects not using po files are a very small
> >fraction
> >(If we ignore open office and mozilla). I'd say that we needn't reconsider.
> >We should leave the project coordinator to choose.

> >won't
> >>

> >> Agreed. We should definitely give Pootle a test-drive.
> >
> >Pootle or any other. We need to discuss 2 issues:
> >* Is it really pootle ? or webbabel ? or ....... ?
> >* How are we going to use CVS and pootle at the same time ?
>
> I think pootle is considering auto CVS syncing. Pootle is still in
> development, but it's very promising, and could end a lot of our
> problems.
> As a test-drive, one might consider using it on a small translation
> project, and see what we can do.

I'm not sure about the current state of pootle. but consider the following scenario:
Person X decided to take the po file and translated outside pootle (It's possible) I
can assume that we will have contributors without a permanent connection. How are we going
to handle this situation ?

> >> The technical glossary is being worked on as we speak.
> >
> >Sorry. But this is not an answer. Who is working on it ? Details please ?
>
> It has been discussed on this list a few days ago (July archives
> should have it). Have a look  in CVS under
> translate/technicaldictionary (I admit we should find a better name
> for it). Youssef Chahibi is working on it ATM with the help of a few
> translators. It's very promising, and a step in the right direction.

I was a bit busy the last few weeks (And probably the next few months). Sorry for not
noticing the discussion.

Why not have a web interface so people can suggest terms ?
I can cook a simple thing with drupal in 5 minutes!!

No, Don't stop your efforts. Keep on building the glossary while we think of
other ways that might help.

I guess we also need to discuss such terms otherwise we might end up with strange
words. What do you all think ??

> >> Kbabel is the one we have documented. At the time when I started
> >> translating, we had a choice between kbabel and gtranslator.
> >> gtranslator was so buggy though that using kbabel was a no-brainer
> >> decision.
> >
> >I agree.
> >
> >> I am not sure if poedit existed at the time. But if a translator wants
> >> to use it and as long as it does not mess up the files, sure why not?
> >> However that will not stop people like me from advocating that kbabel
> >> is still the _best_ translation tool out there because, well, its just
> >> the truth :-)
> >
> >Did you try poedit ? You can't say that kbabel is the best if you didn't
> >try other >applications.
>
> Guys, can we please try to stick to high level and leave out the
> details just yet. Especially with personal preferences. Obviously,
> with translation tools there is a choice, and choice is always good, I
> wouldn't like this to turn into another software flamewar akin to vim
> vs emacs :-)

I don't want it to be a flamewar. All what I said was: We have other tools. Those tools
run under windows so we might use help from people using windows.

> >> Well, we do not actually have to do that. We can concentrate on
> >> translation sure, but dropping development projects will not help,
> >> IMHO.
> >
> >Maybe we shouldn't. I'm not sure yet.
>
> Arabeyes is set to support Arabic. Without Arabeyes things like arabic
> support in Vim, putty, katoob etc wouldn't have been dev'ed, or at
> least not as good as they are. Believe it or not, many people *do* use
> them.

I don't know (Or I'm not sure). I took katoob outside Arabeyes long time ago.
All what I wanted to make clear is: We don't have much resources for development
and translation at the same time.
Maybe we shouldn't drop the development projects. I'm wrong.

--
GNU/Linux registered user #224950
Proud Egyptian GNU/Linux User Group <www.eglug.org> Member.