Re: Arabeyes Translation Teams.

On 8/2/06, Mohammed Sameer <msameer at foolab dot org> wrote:

I'm not sure about the current state of pootle. but consider the following scenario:
Person X decided to take the po file and translated outside pootle (It's possible) I
can assume that we will have contributors without a permanent connection. How are we going
to handle this situation ?

In such cases, it will be the project coordinator's responsibility to
take care of Person X. For example Person X could translate the files
and then email them to the coordinator, then it will be the
coordinator's job to commit them directly to CVS.

We do not want to be Nazis with regard to what tools the translators
will use to translate. This means the project coordinator should cater
to the needs of each and every individual on his team, BUT he still
should not forget to at least preach to them about the benefits of
certain tools, but without forcing them to use them.

So, in short, if we adopt Pootle and it ends up helping 90% of our
translators, the project coordinator should do whatever is necessary
to take care of the other 10%.

Why not have a web interface so people can suggest terms ? I can cook a simple thing with drupal in 5 minutes!!

Or, we could use the already-in-place-but-neglected wiki ;-) , or even better, just use this mailing list, which is infact what we are doing right now. Mohammed Saad has been sending daily doses of words with their suggested translations, and whoever has any comments is free to make them. I do not know if his efforts are related to the technical dictionary or not. Perhaps he can comment on this.

Abdulaziz,