Re: translation automation?

--- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <alarfaj0 at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> You mean like this?
>   http://babelfish.altavista.com/
>
> I would very much like to see an English->Arabic and then Arabic->English
> automated translation, even if it's wrong 90% of the time. If its wrong 90%
> of the time then its right 10% of the time, so thats 10% less work for us.
>
> This however is a _huge_ and complex project, and for someone to write
> it he needs a very firm grasp of the syntax, semantics and morphology of
> Arabic, plus programming prowess. It doesnt look like we have someone
> like that here... :-(

I think we have some of the ingredients to actually give it a go, what it
does require is someone with the enthusiasm and curiosity to stick with it
and develop it as much as possible.

The following projects could come in handy,
 + Duali     (http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Duali)
 + Farahidi  (http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Adawat)
 + Wordlist  (http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Wordlist)

I'm by no means saying we can actually do it and get it right, etc.  But
I am inclined to think that we have some tools in-place to start on such
an adventure given there is dedication and interest in a long-term project.
Universities should also be consulted as this is something that would very
much salivate over (or they should).

Sounds like something to add to Arabeyes' Global TODO list.