Re: translation automation?

Salam,

Experience proved that "machine translation" is still far from being a perfect
solution, as texts translated this way require heavy editing and usually
more time. While we might gain 10%, editing the remaining 90% will take
more time and effort.

Other translation tools exist, however. Translation Memory software, such
as Trados and Transit (and OmegaT under all platforms including Linux) is
only the most famous. It is only suitable for highly repetitive text. It
works more or less like Kbabel.

Another more recent alternative is Corpus-based translation tools, such
as MultiTrans of MultiCorpora. It is, in my opinion, the best solution available
for translating documents with relatively less repetitive occurences at
the sentence level, but more repetitive occurences of more than 2 words,
such as computer books. A comparision between both systems is available
here:

http://www.multicorpora.com/papers/new/White%20Paper%20Multilingual%20Corpus_en.pdf

Another effort is underway at the United Nations University: the Universal
Networking Language (UNL). I do not know much about it. Here is the link:

http://www.undl.org/unlsys/

While I cannot still give a hand in any effort in this regard because of
my injury, I would like to say that such software under Linux is becoming
a real need in many international organizations sufferring from abusive
practices of some proprietary software owners and wishing to move towards
open source.

Salam,

Yasser