Re: Humble contribution to Wordlist

--- Ahmad Al-rasheedan <asr at baldi dot cc> wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 00:00, you wrote:
>
> > No sir. I've worked on about 100 words of those,
> and
> > though they are really tough that I couldn't do
> more
> > than about 50 a day (one hour or so a day), but
> still
> > I believe this what makes our 'Golden Wordlist'
> worth
> > it.
> > I mean, most of those words (and others we already
> > have) aren't in _any_ of other dictionaries. I
> always
> > say: "qamoose.arabeyes.org is something _we_ did
> and
> > it contains words that _aren't_ in _any_ of the
> other
> > Arabic dictionaries you could find!".
> > And YES, you're right. We should prioritize the
> work
> > depending on the needs. If we need to have easier
> > words translated ASAP and leave those tough ones
> for
> > later, I have no problem. But again, I think we're
> > going through them anyway.
>
> Let me bring back some nice memories, setting high
> standards
> combined with short handed is not that good. This
> bring us back
> to "If a word is searchable by google then it has to
> be translated"
> and we went in circles! We decided on Onelook and
> the project
> took off to a state where it can be released. Leave
> few thousand
> words behind and they will always be behind. Wasn't
> that the
> case with version 0.5?
>
> > Again, if a words has a translation, then it's
> worth
> > it.
>
> ..Here we go again:)

What I meant by "has a translation" is using Onelook
and not google! Put it this way, If I have to waste 1
minute searching for a word then I just leave it when
it's a little hard to translate, and again get back to
it later and do the same, I'd be wasting more time
than if I had to spend 5 minutes to immediately
translate or at least comment on what it could mean as
a later reference.

> > I was thinking, why don't you work on the multiple
> > translation part, while I concentrate on new
> words?
>
> I could dear Osama but rest assured it won't be as
> fun or as fast when 2 do the task. Competition on
> the job
> is an essential component of humans hence
> productivity.
>
> > 1. I don't really understand how can I say I have
> > new release. I mean based on what? Number of new
> > words, job done, or what? Can you please enlight
> me on
> > this one.
>
> Job done if you ask me. (i.e new_words are
> transfered to golden)

Fair enough.

regards,
Ossama Khayat