Re: translation CVS trees

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:54:52PM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> As you put it - I know very little on how Gnome does things, but having
> a hierarchy seems simply enough for us to mirror, no ?

Not really. I am almost certain we had this discussion before (at least
I had it on numerous occasions). GNOME doesn't have a single CVS  module
where it keeps the PO's. Instead, it keeps them per application. So, you
have X application, inside of it a directory where the translations are
(named after the country iso code).

So we end up with a gazillion directories and filenames. GNOME has a
work-around for this problem. They have the GTP (GNOME Translation
Project):
  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/ar/index.html

I am not sure what Arafat is doing currently.. but what needs to be done
is the following:

1. wget the PO's from the status page
2. merge them to our cvs (have our cvs mirror the structure on the
   status page)
3. merge back to gnome cvs (to the appropriate path as per the status
   page)

> I must be over simplifying something or another.  Oh well, I tried.
> Arafat you are on your own then unless you feel the need for that
> hierarchy is warranted.

With that being said, there is absolutely no reason why we would want to
mirror the GNOME CVS. Even if we were to mirror it, we would end up
renaming files (since they would be named 'ar.po' per package).

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |