Re: translation CVS trees

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:29:13PM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> I've asked for this before (check the archives) and nothing was done.
> The Gnome tree (again like the KDE tree) is out of sync from what I saw
> from their main repositories.  As such, I highly recommend this gets
> fixed sooner rather than later.  We also need the project maintainers
> to keep an eye on the structure and raise their voices when the trees
> go out of sync.

I think you are confusing things here. GNOME is nothing like KDE.
In order for us to mirror GNOME's cvs structure, we would be wasting a
lot of space and making things even more difficult. If you want to get
involved in this, then I suggest you spend the next week reading up on
how GNOME is structured and how we are doing things before going off
touching the CVS respoistory directly (which, again, I would not want
anyone to touch other than myself).

> For instance.
>
>  Gnome has a more reasonable hierarchy now,
>    http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/ar/index.html
>  Our CVS doesn't reflect that and we are already working on 2.6

Yes, read above.

>  KDE on our CVS had more subdirectories than what KDE's head seem to
>  have (I realize it might be due to older revisions, but how will a
>  newbie translator know which to translate and which to ignore - not
>  that we have a rush of newbie translators (or any for that matter),
>  but the question remains a valid one)
>    http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/HEAD/ar/index.php
>  I also noticed a few missing files from our CVS.

Probably so. Feel free to add them ;) There was a major re-shuffle and I
made that reflect on our CVS (since with KDE, it is easier to mirror the
KDE CVS structure for translations on our CVS). However, there are
probably new additions (be it files or complete directories since then).

As you know, (and everyone else should) -- we are in NEED FOR A KDE
COORDINATOR. I have been harping on people to take on the task but no
one seems to want to take it over. I'm not sure if we should simply shut
the whole operation down or what. I have asked Hafid on several
occasions and he seems to evade the question or simply ignore it.

Yes, I know there is a TODO item for me to do something about that --
about to send that email (as per the core meeting agenda).

> FYI - Arabic is not even listed on KDE's page here,
>       http://i18n.kde.org/stats/doc/head/index.html

Yes, we are not working on head.. actually, there is nothing we are
working on, is there?

> In short, this needs to be taken care of irrespective of who does it.

No. In short, you need to know the way we have been dealing with GNOME
before wanting to dive into something that can get ugly ;) That is why,
I don't want people (with access) to modify the repository directly.

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |