Re: E D S for Abdulaziz

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 02:53 am, Youcef Rabah Rahal wrote:
> Salam,

> Actually I like كنية ;-) Laqab now means more and more 'Family Name' which
> can create a confusion. Yeah, I know that originally it meant 'Nickname',
> but keep in mind that the language evolves.

Oops! Arabic language evolves in the sense of new words to cope with new
terminology is correct but for the Arabic language evolving doesn't mean by
any mean that what we studied in school regarding it's grammar can be
changed. This a substantial difference between arabic and English. English
grammar and rules can change but Arabic grammar can't. Fullstop.

> My 2c (I'll keep the arguing for QAC :-).

For QAC to live and do it's job properly, their work should not depend on what
a certain Arabic community thinks about a word. You believe in something; I
believe in another; we disagree; a thread about demogracy and detorine is
opened; a split happens; ....  ;)  (I have finished my lecture, can I hear
clapping? ;)

QAC should refer first to official rules that are well documented in Arabic
Grammar/Tasreef/Quameese and follow this without questioning. If not found,
then QAC can propose or RFC a rule.

Finally, I am happy with QAC, I count myself as a member though not an active
member maybe. I think Youcef Rabah is a good person to guide QAC and he needs
to hear from us all so let's help QAC form rules by discussions.

--

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distro/mdkarabicsupport.html
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA