Re: OpenOffice 1.1.1 corrupts the Arabic

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 03:43:53AM -0400, Munzir Taha wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 April 2004 11:25 am, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
>
> > I can!
> > I'll tell you what's happening to me.
> > I installed mandrake 10 and OOo
> > It's fully working here on my laptop, No problem at all.
> > I installed on another workstation just to find that I can't type
> > Arabic.
>
> I tried before to explain this coming-and-going problem related to OO.o to
> Pablo of Mandrake but failed to reproduce it for him.

I an here.
on both mandrake 9.2 and 10

> > Damn! the letters appear "3ala ba3dohom"
> > ok after a day of digging, I found that I have to get freetype from
> > plf "compiled with the truetype byte interpreter"
> > everything went fine after that, I don't know why, But it worked.
>
> Your resolution is completely correct. I am very curious about how you relate
> this problem to freetype. Actually, I think you mean
> libfreetype6-2.1.7-4plf.i586.rpm not freetype itself, right?

don't ask me how i did it!
i don't know
rpm -q libfreetype6
libfreetype6-2.1.7-4plf

> The reason I wonder how you figure this out and how libfreetype6 could be
> related in any way to OO.o is that
>
> [munzir at localhost munzir]$ ldd /usr/bin/oowriter
>         not a dynamic executable
>
> which means oowriter has all its libs copied directly into the executable, so
> the executable contains its own copy of the library routines, wrong?

No, it's a shell script
 file /usr/bin/oowriter
/usr/bin/oowriter: symbolic link to `ooffice'
[mohammed at Uniball tmp]$ file /usr/bin/ooffice
/usr/bin/ooffice: perl script text executable

> Also, I noticed that upon the upgrade to libfreetype6-2.1.7-4plf.i586.rpm, I
> lost anti-aliasing everywhere, did it happen to you also?

donno, i usually don't take care of such small things.

> Finally, do we need to submit a bug to Mandrake? Is it Mandrake-specific?
> do you have any idea why freetype-1.3.1-21mdk is used in Mandrake not the new
> freetype2 release?

maybe cause of the patents ?
donno really, but i have a workstation running redhat 9.0 with OOo 1.1
from openoffice.org and you can copy and paste with no problems
there. it wasn't me who installed it so i'm not sure about any
specific configuration.
but i assume there is nothing special and that it worked out of the
box!

--
-- Katoob Main Developer