Re: OpenOffice 1.1.1 corrupts the Arabic

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 11:25 am, Mohammed Sameer wrote:

> I can!
> I'll tell you what's happening to me.
> I installed mandrake 10 and OOo
> It's fully working here on my laptop, No problem at all.
> I installed on another workstation just to find that I can't type
> Arabic.

I tried before to explain this coming-and-going problem related to OO.o to
Pablo of Mandrake but failed to reproduce it for him.

> Damn! the letters appear "3ala ba3dohom"
> ok after a day of digging, I found that I have to get freetype from
> plf "compiled with the truetype byte interpreter"
> everything went fine after that, I don't know why, But it worked.

Your resolution is completely correct. I am very curious about how you relate
this problem to freetype. Actually, I think you mean
libfreetype6-2.1.7-4plf.i586.rpm not freetype itself, right?

The reason I wonder how you figure this out and how libfreetype6 could be
related in any way to OO.o is that

[munzir at localhost munzir]$ ldd /usr/bin/oowriter
        not a dynamic executable

which means oowriter has all its libs copied directly into the executable, so
the executable contains its own copy of the library routines, wrong?

Also, I noticed that upon the upgrade to libfreetype6-2.1.7-4plf.i586.rpm, I
lost anti-aliasing everywhere, did it happen to you also?

Finally, do we need to submit a bug to Mandrake? Is it Mandrake-specific?
do you have any idea why freetype-1.3.1-21mdk is used in Mandrake not the new
freetype2 release?

--

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distro/mdkarabicsupport.html
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA