Also against what Gregg said. (partially)

Salam Gregg,

The discussion about using dialects instead of the lingua franca is very
old. But let me say my view on it, we as a project have a deal well maybe only
me but I think everyone still has it , it is this thinking about one arabic
community as a target. So it is very important to make one translation for all
ppl that's pragmatically speaking very efficient then many translations, if
an Algerian or a Qatarian doesn't learn speaking his mother tongue very well
then that's his problem not mine. Ideologically speaking , I formyslef believe
in Arab unity and so I believe that like in germany for eg. ppl from Bavaria
don't understand at all the ppl from the regions near Dänemark but still
both call themselves german, same thing for us Arabs. So if we make translations
in dialects we force indirectly a break in this collective thinking. I for
myself don't want that. It is even an indirect question if arabic has it's
legitimity of being a lingua franca.
Second thing, I liked what u said about calling a mouse a mouse ;) But well
don't forget that a mouse is called a mouse because it looks like a mouse
(well it looked as a mouse at apples Macs days) So far is not so bad even if as
said I like ur idea about it, still we can't make questionaries in arabic
streets to know what arabic wil call it, as we will be catched by the police ;)
Fa'r is not Rat , rat is "jarbu3" or "yarbu3" plural "jarabi3" or "yarabi3".
And it is used by arabs and they call a rat rat and a mouse mouse, so that's
not the problem. The problem is simply Arabs don't like nor mise neither
rats. Well only women I think. Or does anyone of you don't like mice ? :)
Well those are my two cents

cheers
Arafat

NEU: Mit GMX ins Internet. Günstige DSL- & Modem/ISDN-Tarife!