Re: about the new .pot files

Salam,
Jasem Mutlaq wrote:

Salam .. First of all .. sorry for writing in English .. but I am having
probelms switching the Keyboard in Gnome2 ..
About knowing that it is updated .. You will not have to worry about that
.. you do your great work .. and leave the update issue for us :-) I do the
update often .. like every 2 weeks or so .. and make sure that the KDE and
Gnome Servers have our changes and translation.. and make sure that we have
the latest changes .. for example we moved from the KDE 3.0.3 Tree to the
3.1 tree .. so we are translating for KDE 3.1 .. as for Gnome .. there
hadn't been many string changes since Gnome 2.0 ( which we are at now) ..
although there had been a Gnome 2.0.2 release changes are not that big ..

Oh thanks Isam for replying, but our question was different though.

imagine that I translate a .pot file and it generated a .po file, then two months after that, the developer changes his/her .pot file and adds new strings to it.

Now, I don't have to translate the new .pot file all over again, is there a way to translate only the untranslated strings?

That is, when I edit the NEW .pot file in KBabel, all the strings are untranslated.. is there a way to *merge* the OLD .po file so I can only then go ahead and translate the new ones?

I hope I'm not confusing things.

Translations are done on the po file. So here's how to proceed:
mv file.po file.po.old
msgmerge file.po.old file.pot -o file.po
rm file.pot
And continue to work on file.po

cheers,
Jasem.