Re: kde 3.1

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 18:41, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> When you ignore branches you automatically lose work that has been done on
> the previous branch (instead of preserving it and moving on with another
> branch, say if magically completed, one can move around them). For example,
> we don't have the 3.0 translations.. we are on 3.1. That means, our entire
> CVS does not have 3.0 translations.

Well .. this is partly true .. we did loose some of the translation efforts
when moving from one branch to anohter .. at that time I hoped that this
would not efect because we had strong translators commitment and action..

> Initially, that was fine because it didn't really matter (we had little to
> maintain). Now, I seriously don't recommend throwing away work and merging
> with new branches as opposed to creating those branches locally on arabeyes
> cvs.

OK then .. I will be updating the current PO files from the KDE_3_1_0_RELEASE,
and all minor versions such as 3.1.1, 3.1.2, and so on .. as minor versions
contain few or no changes.. when it is time for KDE 3.2 .. it will be in a
new branch ..

There is one little thing that I need from the perl programmers .. Nadim :-)
.. the tran_update.pl (if you still remember it) needs some improvments:
- the option of having the template directory will contain PO files instead of
POT.
- the option of choosing whether to mark files that are not in the template
dir, but in the target dir as REM .. I need to have this as an option

now why is this :
- when I use the template POT directory to update I some time get that there
is new files .. while infact those files are splits of existing files .. or
files moved from one place to another .. I try my best to detect those files
and do the moving and spliting manualy .. nevertheless there had been cases
where I was not able to catch those, and this caused having some correctly
translated strings as fussy ones ( example is the desktop_* files)
When the KDE i18n people so such thing as moving a file from one place to
anohter or spliting a file, they implement it in all langauges so no efforts
are list .. so the kde-i18n/ar/messages in the KDE CVS will be fixed
accordingly .. I want to be able to use the kde-i18n/ar/messages/ files (
which are PO files) to update our files .. that way nothing would be lost
when spliting files or moving files from one place to another ...
the same msgmerge command can be used .. although conflicts may arise .. but I
will be fixing those manualy ..

Yours
Isam