Re: User Database

Salam,

On Sunday 18 January 2004 18:37, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> It would be best to also grab the IP address of where they are coming
> in from and log that as an identifier to relieve ourselves from
> multiple
> registrations from the same person.

I'm not sure this would be a solution. 2 people would not be able to
register with Arabeyes from the same PC then ? ;)

> Not sure what 'dump such accounts' mean - but I think we ought to
> retain
> them in our databases but flag them as 'dead' or similar.

I mean throwing them away ! :-) I mean, look, do you really want to keep
those registrations ? :

http://www.arabeyes.org/people.php?username=maj
http://www.arabeyes.org/people.php?username=kkj
long list...

There are plenty of them. They are simply taking space and taking
possible usernames. I am not talking (yet) about those who already have
a CVS commit, or about those who have an account but we know it's not
for CVS. That's why I'm saying removing them 'manually' and not via a
script.

BTW, I removed all redundant accounts, making sure to keep all the
relevant data (merge). We have now 260 accounts (13 accounts removed).

--
Youcef R. Rahal
Arabeyes.org