Re: User Database

--- Youcef Rabah Rahal <rahal at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2004 18:37, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > It would be best to also grab the IP address of where they are coming
> > in from and log that as an identifier to relieve ourselves from
> > multiple
> > registrations from the same person.
>
> I'm not sure this would be a solution. 2 people would not be able to
> register with Arabeyes from the same PC then ? ;)

No, I mean when the first/last names match, check the IP address to
verify that a user is in fact the same user.

> > Not sure what 'dump such accounts' mean - but I think we ought to
> > retain
> > them in our databases but flag them as 'dead' or similar.
>
> I mean throwing them away ! :-) I mean, look, do you really want to keep
> those registrations ? :
>
> http://www.arabeyes.org/people.php?username=maj
> http://www.arabeyes.org/people.php?username=kkj
> long list...
>
> There are plenty of them. They are simply taking space and taking
> possible usernames. I am not talking (yet) about those who already have
> a CVS commit, or about those who have an account but we know it's not
> for CVS. That's why I'm saying removing them 'manually' and not via a
> script.

I would still say keep 'em (but maybe remove their username of attach
a 'DEAD' to it or similar) - each entry in our database is very cheap
and you never know if/when those might be useful.  In short, the people
that registered at some point showed interest (enough so to register),
the subsequently flaked out and so be it.  In all, there is no reason
to 'rm -rf' those entries.