Re: Arabeyes and SOC

--- Djihed Afifi <djihed at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Salam Nadim,
>
> This is pretty urgent. I sent this via IRC to you a while ago and to
> the mailing list.

For serious topics (like this one), do please use the mailing-lists.
I'm moving this to the 'general' list in hopes of getting other people's
opinion and input plus this topic needs a wider circulation.

> Check out http://code.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=10442
>
> Google summer of code: google offering money for people to work on OSS
> projects. OSS organisations should apply (like us). We can make a case
> for some of our projects (which I'll do), and we need one administrator
> as point of contact with Google. Wanna be that?
>
> Deadline 5-12 march

Sure or if possible we can use the 'contact@' email alias - that would
be best.

> If you see the organisation list there are many who are more obscure
> than arabeyes. + we can make a strong base for some of our much needed
> projects.
>
> Please do reply with your view on this. Deadline is approaching.

I don't think we can simply apply for the sake of applying - we need to
suggest what it is we're be working on and we need to line-up who will
be doing this work, no ?  In other words, shouldn't we know ahead of
time what it is that we're looking to get done (or accomplish) before
we sign-up for anything and who will do that work ?  Pointing at our
"daunting" Todo list for Google's "URL for your ideas page" seems a bit
overkill in that we don't know if we'll get people to sign-up for any
of that.

My suggestions -

 1. We break out our todo list into smaller (more manageable) pieces with
    exact completion requirements.
 2. We apply to Google's Summer.Of.Code with the list completed by #1.
 3. We augment and refine the list and heavily recruit people with mention
    of money in hopes of that being a motivator.
 4. If we end-up with no takers (worse case scenario) then some of us will
    have to "bite the bullet" and do some of the work - we'll need 3-4 people
    for this.

Thoughts/directions/opinions/volunteers ?

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/