Re: typing in arabic and english

You have another choice run the following command to change via Keyboard (Shift+Alt)

setxkbmap -layout "us,ar" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle" -option "grp_led:caps"

On 7/12/06, Mohammed Adnčne Trojette <adn at diwi dot org> wrote:
> --- Kamran Karimullah < kkarimullah at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > Dear contact-at-arabeyes,
> >
> > I am running a small version of Mandriva linux called Mandriva One.  I would
> > like to be able to be able to type in Arabic and English in the linux
> > environment; not merely in OpenOffice but in my webrowser as well (Mozilla
> > 1.7.13).  For example, I would like to be able to use the excellent online
> > dictionary at tarjim.com but I will not be able to use it properly if I
> > cannot input the root in the search box.

Hi Kamran and sorry for the late reply. Please what are you using as
your Desktop Environment?

Personnally, I don't use the same distribution as you so other people on
the list may be able to help on this. But on Debian/Ubuntu/Debian custom
distribution, what you need is:

* a UTF-8 locale ('dpkg-reconfigure locales' as root and choose a UTF-8
locale by default);

* an Arabic font (see the Arabeyes khotot project -- or the ttf-arabeyes
package on Debian);

* a keyboard layout management applet (there is one on Gnome and one on
KDE and they are really easy to use -- as in Windows, you click on it
with the right button to configure and the left button to switch the
layout).

Please let me know if it works.

--
adn