Re: Debconf5

--- Ossama Khayat <okhayat at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> More important, is that I don't really have much plans for this conference.
>
>   http://www.debconf.org/debconf5

>From what I've heard you are slated to give a presentation there, no ?
It might not be "official", but you were asked to give a talk (not sure
about the make-up of the intended audience though).

> So, do you have any suggestions and/or plans for conferences in general?
> I know there are some presentations in the website, but what else do we
> have?

As Abdulaziz has aptly noted, a major point in all of this is to meet
those you've been working with in order to forge even closer working
relationships.  A main take-away from this should be Arabeyes' ability
to educate those that will attend about some of the difficulties we face
on a daily basis - so you might consider putting together a short intro
to the Arabic language (RTL, shaping, harakat, searching issues, etc).

Think of this as an educational tour.  You are going there to learn and
to teach.  The learning will come from seeing how various other groups
interact and work and the teaching will be in raising awareness about all
Arabic issues (our possibly dated bugs page [1] needs closer inspection).
You'll need to stress upon them our Arabic-script needs through education
and various samples.  I'm sure there will be lots of people that don't know
much about Arabic and so this is a perfect opportunity to get them very
acquainted with all its various facets in order to get them thinking and
addressing these issues in their applications.  We'd love to see debian,
for instance, officially make a push for Arabic, so this sounds like a
great opportunity.  Introducing people to Arabeyes will come naturally
as you'll be our face there :-)

I'll be committing a general presentation about Arabeyes into CVS soon,
do look over that and use it as a template for further aditions to better
suit your talk and goals.

Hope that helps.

 [1] http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs