Re: Quran PDF generation, help needed

Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya wrote:
Gregg,
Thanks for the info. Looks interesting. However, I do need some help
for the creation of XSL, since XML it's not my expertise. You can
refer to the quran XML structure for the actual XML, or if you think it is better to use different XML format, please let me know. I don't
think it is that difficult to generate a new XML file structure for
the Quran. A simple perl script would do the trick.

Hi Meor,

I think the XML structure in the file I downloaded from your site will do just fine.

If I get a few minutes this weekend I'll whip up an XSL stylesheet to print out a few Surahs. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. But I guess there is a bit of a learning curve. The great advantage of using XSL-FO is that you can adjust your formatting very easily. For example, for proofreading you might want to print each Ayah on a separate line, in relatively large print with large side margins for notes. Then if you wanted to make a properly typeset version you could just make a few adjustments to the stylesheet.

XSL-FO stuff is also just plain fun.  ;)

-gregg