Re: Arabeyes -- a critique

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:10:33 +0300, Samy Al Bahra <samy at kerneled dot org> wrote:
> Looks like my e-mail didn't go through.
>

> Arafat Medini wrote:
>
> > You have to nurture yourself, best would be when I come to you with a
> > milk bottle after you wrote some code hein???
>
> It's hard to nurture yourself when you don't know how to.

So you need to know how to ;)

> FreeBSD? NetBSD? Linux? OpenBSD? GCC? Please do your research, AE is a
> minutiae of OSS relative to these projects. These projects have truly
> complex problems to deal with, their structure as an organization is an
> old problem (now go read on Debian's, FreeBSD's, NetBSD's, OpenBSD's and
> GCC's developer organization).

Well if I recall the projects you mentioned where a little bit
different (dragonflybsd anyone?) I read some of Linuss book about his
biography I don't recall Linux being a one man project...

> > And again some new burocracy and everyone is happy... But the REAL
> > work I am asking for it for years doesn't get tackled. If you want to
> > help be the maintainer of QAC for eg.!
>
> ElZubeir's mentor programme is for developers, not translators.
> Translators operate under the domain of QAC. If you're not happy with
> core's speed in handling QAC, I suggest you push for it yourself when
> you have more time.

Still it will not solve the problems we have for it alone, sure it's
good, I said this many times but saying THIS IS the answer is not
right IMHO...

> > Yeah I saw innovation sprakling in the FOSS world, please name to me
> > ONE and only one innovation in the FOSS world?
>
> In my first e-mail I had several examples, but that didn't go through.
>
> A majority of clustering technology, OGG, patch/diff, CVS, SVN, ARCH,
> FreeBSD ports, FreeBSD's rcNG, Python, Perl, Ruby and other programming
> languages, Apache, chroot, FreeBSD jail, HURD, DragonFlyBSD, systrace,
> OpenBSD's stack-patches, several FreeBSD MAC features, UML, Linux
> vserver model, qemu, PCAP, BPF, nmap...and I am about bored now.

OGG -> MP3
the patch/diff system was always there c'mon...
FreeBSD ports???
Python? a scripting language is a cripting language... Ok I'd say ruby
is better...
Dragonflybsd ???
Linux ???? minix anyone?
qemu ?????

well I am bored too and I could answer on everyone of your entries...

> > Firefox? see Opera
>
> Please read about the evolution of Mosaic to Netscape to Gecko.

??? And what does mosaic have to do with Opera? All the code was
scarpped with Mozilla anyway... I know very well every step of the
evolution from Mosaic to Mozilla... by the way the browser itself was
names mosaic like the rendering engine and the toolkit, Netscape was a
browser too if you know it..., which used mosaics rendering engine and
then extended it to raptor which was so buggy and bloated that
everything was scrapped and then mozilla was started an with it gecko
that's why mozi has that nifty T-rex like logo which actually should
be a raptor logo, Mozilla came from Godzilla that's why the mozilla
foundation was sued last year by the japanese TOHO pictures. For
godzilla pls google... So mozilla should be a continuation of the
raptor engine initially... As you see I know my lessons very well...

> > Mono? well ... .net
>
> This is an emulator.

An emulator?? An implementation please... go visit www.go-mono.net

Who's the ignorant?

> > what else ? KDEs bloated monstrousity???
>
> Yes, and it's other rich features.

Oh yes mmmmm KDE makes me shiver with it's file manager, browser,
shell, egg cooker dunno whatever richness... long lives konquerer who
crashed on my machines every 2 minutes.

> > Please name ONE innovation, FOSS people are proud to copy things from
> > the others! I'm saying this not from ignorance but after a long
> > conversation with Miguel de Icaza.
>
> or ignorance. You are not speaking on facts, but an emotional whiplash.

I hope you read my mails on the Lists, I'm sure you know that I am
always emotional, and that this is not a real argument...

> > Yeah I'll write the software and do it for myself and I'll be happy
> > because me and some 10 others are using it, wonderful...
> > NO I want an imam in the middle of nowhere in Mauritania to have a 386
> > pc and use gedit in Arabic then I'll be REALLY proud of myself.
>
> If you don't want to be a developer, don't be. Become a translator. A
> developer will be expected to have other responsibilities than a
> translator, as they should.

Well I am writing code myself, and if I wrote an app I would still
want to have it in Mauritania to be honest... You'll not gonna tell me
you'll be happy to have an app ready for 5 people will you ?

> > I'm not a monkey and I'll never become one thanx.
>
> Monkies act with rationale and logic.

Yeah I saw bonobos who were very rationale... eating each others
children for eg.
humans and bonos 98.5% equal DNA...

> Thank you for the flame. :)

let's flame the lists... BOAAAHAHAHA...