Re: Standardizing Arabization

--- Arafat Medini <arafato at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I was browsing the About page and found this wonderful quote:
>
>  "It is designed to be a central location to standardize
>   the Arabization process."
>
> that IS the goal of Arabeyes which Elzubair had long ago formulated.

s/Elzubeir/'core'

> I think we did a good job on translating, programming, advertising
> etc... BUT we completely missed THAT goal which is (became in my eyes
> after doing gnome 2.8) the MOST IMPORTANT thing we have to reach. We
> must now concentrate on making standards and we were far too short in
> this regard.

I agree fully but not that it was completely forgotten - its been
passed-over due to our short-handedness (ie. lack of people/resources).

> QAC, AIG are some good steps the Qamoose project would have been a
> REAL source if work would have continued on it.

QaMoose is there as a facilitator (I'm not sure what you mean by "if
work would have continued on it" -- what's missing ?) - what you really
want to concentrate on is the Wordlist [1] (I continue to say that the
Wordlist project, IMHO, is THE most important translation project we
have).  The wordlist as it stands now ought to possibly be expanded
to include categorical sections (ie. medical, technical and other specific
terms only sections; this ought to be done once the general wordlist
is complete and is fully populated with multiple translations).  I
would also like to see some thought go into an Arabic->English wordlist
once we've completed the English->Arabic WordList.  The Wordlist(s) are
catalysts for so many ideas (such as automatic translation and
sentence/paragraph auto-translations, etc) that it would be silly to
discount them (plus they are static and don't change from revision to
revision :-).  I guess this particular topic is more fit for the 'doc'
list.

> But rules, standards, words never get lost and will be used even
> after 50 years!

It would be ideal to list out the various items/topics we would like
to see get "standardized" and start working on getting some of those
topics researched enough so that they can be taken care of in earnest.

[1] http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Wordlist