Re: open source presentation

--- Omar Abo-Namous <merlin12345 at gmx dot de> wrote:
> we are trying to put together a lecture program for the next year at the
> local mosque. I thought it would be a nice idea, if we could find
> someone who could give us a small presentation of open source software
> development. Of course he'd have to tell us about arabeyes in
> particular, but the main idea is to understand what open source means
> for the people involved. Perhaps he could give us some good examples of
> good open source projects that are competing with the commercial/closed
> ones..

We have a couple of presentations already that you can tap into and use
as a template (we're also working on updating them and adding more recent
info).  Take a quick peek at the 'Introductory Material' on Arabeyes'
"About" [1] page to see what I mean.

> Since it is in a mosque, it would be nice, if he can present the
> itl-project and perhaps go into the quran-data, which is still in
> check-status..

There are a number of issue within the Quran project that require
immediate attention (missing Unicode characters, getting proper
authentication for the data, getting proper authenticated translations,
etc) - those are all areas to talk about.

> if course the mosque would compensate for the costs (driving..), until
> now, we were thinking of mid-year for this presentation, the attendants
> (?) would be mostly students and academics, it should be in german (or
> arabic, but still german would be better).

I'm not sure anyone will be able to do for ya so I highly recommend you
take this task upon yourself and some of us can help with the presentation
to better tailor it to your audience, vision and demands.

[1] http://www.arabeyes.org/about.php