Linux-Egypt Install Fest

This Is Late, But it's nadim's request.

At the 1st of may, We had our 1st install fest at Al sawy cultural
wheel from 10am to 5pm.
I think it was a success regardless of any bad points there.
The most important point during the preparation was marketing! yes!
Imagine yourself going to a place where you didn't visit or talk to
anyone living there just to find that they know about the fest. That's
nice.
Also alaa did a great job spamming yahoo groups ;-)
What we offered there:
* Arabbix but for those knowing that something called arabbix is
there and they want it! "anyone need an explanation why ??"
* Mandrake move, The original Idea was 100 copy "99 were burned, 1 was
corrupted ;-)", Don't know the actual number.
* Mandrake Linux-Egypt Edition. Mandrake 10 Official modified by alaa
to include gtk 2.4 and gnome 2.6, "just to find that he missed some
vital symbols from some libraries ;-)", and with modified ads to show
that "Linux-Egypt Is NOT Affiliated With IBM."
* presentation of the various graphics applications there.
* Showing how to install GNU/Linux.
* We had al the ISOs on a PC there so anyone can bring his blanks.
* And of course, Installations ;-)
* did I forget anything ?

What we wanted to offer
* Remote installation
* Thin clients
* Remote desktop
* setting up apache in 15 minutes.
* I'm forgetting things for sure... ;-)

Ok, We got more than 1000-1200 person there, This was good and bad, God to
indicate the success of our marketing plan lead by Yousef Asad
"MadFarmAnimalz", Bad because we were not prepared for all these
numbers.

we had a big screen displaying bb in a loop, and sometimes
xscreensaver, I think it was impressive.

Ahh, A bad thing is that i had to wrote the command to copy CDs for
all the volunteers copying CDs for a thousand times, and they refused
to memorize it:
cdrecord -eject -v -pad -dao driveropts=burnproof dev=0,0,0 speed=16 /path/to/iso.file
;-)

I've spent most of the time talking to ppl and answering questions
about GNU/Linux, Explaining the difference between distros. kicking
ppl out because they were asking about oracle.
ppl. kept asking about redhat 9, I explained to them that redhat 9 is
ancient and that there is no security updates. They can use fedora
though fedora is not redhat.
Or they can use mandrake, Which is the best chaise from my point of view.

Guys, I'd like to thank all our volunteers, To thank All the sakia ppl.

I hate writing reports, Feel free to ask questions, add comments.
point me to missing things and I'll complete this thing.

wiki @ linux-egypt.manalaa.net
photos @ www.foolab.org/fest
Al sawy Culture wheel @ http://www.culturewheel.com/

--