Re: GCompris Arabization Status

Nabil, a couple of things before we proceed.  I don't tend
to answer personal mail when it relates to Arabeyes issues.

I _highly_ again recommend you subscribe to the proper
mailing-lists ('general' and 'doc' in this instance) and
correspond to Arabeyes and its members via that medium.

--- nabil ben khalifa <nabil_benkhalifa at yahoo dot fr> wrote:
> > Great - I wasn't too familiar with XFCE but now that I've
> > looked at it, looks nice.  Do you need a home for your
> > translation work for XFCE ?  If you do, I'm sure we can
> > work something out and create a page for it on Arabeyes
> > given you continue to lead it and support it.  Let
> > us know.
>
> I don't have a page for translation of XFCE, it would
> be great if you manage to have a page created on
> Arabeyes dedicated to arabization of XFCE and I will
> be glad to lead the work on this issue to have a
> complete arabic XFCE.

No problem, do please let us know about the following,

 1. How many files are involved ?
 2. How many strings are there and what is their status ?
 3. Are the files in .POT/.PO formats ?
 4. What has the procedure been so far for you to
    contribute to XFCE - do you CVS upload files, mail
    them or ... ?

Do also please mail to 'contact at arabeyes dot  dot  dot ' asking for
this project to be started (that's the official way things
are done).  You will also need a CVS account once everything
is setup so if you are not familiar with the procedure,
please read up on it on Arabeyes' Documentation section/pages.

> > > I am willing to work on the inclusion of GCompris in
> > > Arabbix inchallah, so if you can direct me to the
> > > necessary steps to achieve this as I don't know
> > > Arabbix  I will try to do it. As for
> > > arabization/localisation of other softs for kids,
> > > I think it is very important not to forget it, we
> > > can discuss how I can collaborate to it.
> >
> > Wonderful.  You don't need to know much (if
> > anything) with regard to Arabbix.  Again, if you
> > are serious about your contributions to GCompris
> > and see a need for a home for its translation let
> > Arabeyes know (mail 'contact') and we'll work
> > something out.
> >
> > Nabil, thanks for taking-up these issues !!
>
> I will download Arabbix and I will look at it, I
> suppose it is based on Knoppix.

Again, you don't need to - there is NOTHING in arabbix
that should be of concern to you with regard to GCompris.
I highly recommend you ignore arabbix for the time-being.

> Regarding GCompris, surely I am serious about it. I
> started arabizing it 9 months ago and contributed code
> to handle ogg vorbis sounds playing in GCompris. I
> discussed lately with Bruno Coudoin (the author of
> GCompris) the need to add arabic sounds (felicitations,
> numbers in certain activities, etc ...) and I was
> planning to do it. As I said I am open to any
> suggestions to better arabize this soft because I
> think that kids deserve some attention in our effort
> to arabize Linux as they are the future users and
> hopefully maintainers.

Again, mail 'contact' with your official request to
start this project and give us a bit more info on what
is involved and what the current status is.  We, as
I'm sure you're aware, are interested in its Arabization
effort.