Re: Sequential Fathatan Final Form (Items 9 and 10)

Hi Mohammed,

My previous reaction belongs in this section. Here it is again, with a small
supplement:

> On Thursday 17 June 2004 02:23, Thomas Milo wrote:
> >
> > Our partners Tradigital have a big office in Cairo where they work on
> > encoding the Qur'an in close cooperation with the Azhar. I met there
with
> > Sheikh Ali Gomaa. There reason I was there is that they had no clue
about
> > Unicode.
> >

>   I don't Sheikh Ali Gomaa, but Al-Azhar normally doesn't hand older
masahef
>   unless explicitly requested.

Sheikh Ali Gomaa is the Mufti of Egypt.
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2001/561/profile.htm

He is also the general editor of the Encyclopaedia of Hadith, part of the
Sunna Project of the Thesaurus Islamicus Foundation for which DecoType made
an electronic version of the metal font used for the orginal 1924 Cairo
Qur'an.

>   So my suggestion is to always make sure that you really got what you
were
>   looking for not what was suggested by a single vendor.

I consider the Qur'an as cultural legacy shared through time and space by a
significant part of humanity, not as the latest version of a commercial
product.

>   btw: Al-Azhar has really very weak policies regarding computer
technologies,
>          so this cooperation is probably weak too.

Indeed, therefore it is not necessary to keep referring to /al-azhar_ (in
reversible transcription) in our disputes. After all we are working on an
analysis of the problem in terms of logical and visual aspects, not on a
/fatwae/ about it.

What I need to see is scans of authorized Qur'anic text that shows fathatan
on top of alif.