Re: Harakat project: new

--- Isam Bayazidi <isam at bayazidi dot net> wrote:
> well.. I don't see that there is a problem with Harakat Input.. as X
> Input, KDE, Gnome have Harakat in the keyboard layouts.. so applets for
> Harakat input is not really needed. One can either use Keyboard stickers
> to place the Harakat on the keys, or write them on the keys.

I agree with Isam.  Karim, I don't think what you are suggesting is
really needed.  If you have the intention on paying more attention to
harakat, look at the bugs isam lists below and start addressing one
of them (not necessarily to fix it yourself, but to find out as much
about the bug as possible to push developers to do that which is
needed to remedy the issue(s)).

> the problem with Harakat is not Input:
> - Pango/GTK Layout for Words with Harakat is wrong, little spaces under
> the Haraka is shown instead of having it written over the previous letter.
> - Mozilla Harakat Layout is wrong (same as above)
> - Open Office Layout for the Harakat is wrong (Same as above)
> - Text search with/without Harakat gives wrong results, for example if a
> page contain the word (?????) then searching for (???) will not give the
> desired result. This is with Google, Text search in VIM, OpenOffice,
> Mozilla, and more.

In passing, I remember seeing a variety of Java virtual keyboards out
there that will work as you describe (google for 'virtual arabic
keyboard').

<offtopic>
I found this in passing that looked interesting,
  http://rabtpad.sourceforge.net
</offtopic>

As noted, your time and effort is needed in solving the above problems
not creating applications that have very limited usage and already exist
to a large extent.