Re: Harakat project: new

First: I am not suggesting this should be a priority, because
even if I had such an applet already, it would be useless to
me for the reasons Ahmad and Isam metioned.
I agree that applications should properly use harakat in the
text. However, the issue IS with users' ease of access to
harakat, which is why I used MS-Word as an example. MS-Word
properly uses shaping and harakat; and MS-Word is the most
widely used text processing software. Yet, the lack of
tashkil in arabic texts is still there. That's because access
to harakat is unobvious, even with MS.
I agree that people can write on the keys or use stickers.
However, arabic keyboads are typically bilingual and pretty
crowded. A tool bar or an applet in my opinion is a way to
first tell the average user that "something" is possible and
can be easily used. I am just thinking if X has it, it will
give it one more advantage to using *nix over MS.

Maybe a better option is to create a keyboard that has keys
labeled for harakat or something of a sort of extended
keyboards.

-Karim