Re: some thoughts

Nadim Shaikli wrote:

What I had seen is that the majority of seasoned linux users that really know what linux is all about are in business trying to make a few euros here and there off of it and don't seem to really want to commit to helping out - to them, it seems, it is a grab-n-run attitude although they will say otherwise, but actions speak much much louder than words... A very short sighted view, I think we all agree, but that is reality.

There is a saying in OSS : "If you have an itch, scratch it". When Arabic Linux becomes an itch to a business, they will scratch it.

I also think the idea of volunteering for ANYTHING for Arabs is a very foreign concept, even though it should NOT be and it actually is
ingrained into people's heads that we must and should help anywhere we can - not to mention that it is our duty to seek and attain knowledge, etc. People would rather sit on their hands instead of "give anything away" - I'm not sure this attitude will change soon, but we can at a minimum raise people's awareness.

Or, if you can make it their itch, maybe they will scratch it. If and when a student is required to do some translation work for AE to get extra credit points, they will not do it to help the community or make a better world. They will do it because it is their personal itch.

Same thing for a business that has a stake in an OSS project. Why do you
think IBM is pushing Linux ? Why did Netscape open up their browser's
code ? because they want to make a better world. Really ;)

I also think people question their attitudes when they see a group like us and they go (with mouth open), "you guys do all that for FREE
? Why ?" and so when you tell them, it is wonderful, in most instances, to see them relate; the next thing they say "oh, but I don't have time" :-) And the cycle continues.

Unless it becomes their itch :) , or you make it theirs. If the itch metaphore is acceptable, then perhaps people can come up with creative ideas on how to make Arabic Linux itch. Even if the idea needs a lot of effort to execute, at least write it down.

Don't ask people, vendors and other businesses for help, but show them
the itch. Spell it out for them. Until then, AE will rely on the
selected few that want to make a better world.

Another things in passing, there were some people from .lb that showed up to IRC awhile back that seemed very experienced with Linux and I tried as hard as I could (and you know how pushy I can be :-) to get them involved, but they simple brushed us off - why ?

This is good progress, Nadim. First part is to admit the problem. You should take it easy with the pushy thing. It can be counterproductive.

Well, I think they deemed our work non-crucial (as one of 'em noted,
 "I hardly ever need to use Arabic on my computer").

They were telling you it's not itching.

Tell them that there are users there in need of this and that you can
help thousands/millions of people didn't sway him. So how do you convince these people ?

You asked them to scratch someone else's itch ?

I know I used the itch word many times here. It helps me understand OSS forces better.

Regards,
Kamal