Re: getting new members

--- Arafat Medini <lumina at silverpen dot de> wrote:
> To be honest isn't the task of getting new members a task for the core
> members? we as translators are suffocating in work, I will search for
> translators anyway so it's not my problem with the search itself BUT I
> mean the core members also have responsabilities... And I am sure it's
> more the responsability of the core members to search and do propaganda
> for new members then it is ours. I am saying this because I am not
> seeing very much coming from our bosses in this regard.

A few things to note.  Arabeyes was/is very clear with the concept of
coordinators - one of their tasks was/is stated as "you will recuirt
for your respective project(s) to get the job completed sooner rather
than later by any means you see fit".  In reality, it is _everyone's_
job to recruit and to spread the word. With that said and with the
results being as disappointing as history has shown, I tried to start
a Public-Relations (PR) group - a number of useful posts where noted
on this list yet nothing came of it.  Again, a number of people talked
alot and promised a bunch but never came through and we ended-up
wasting a huge amount of time educating/coordinating/brain-storming.

Here's a thread to look over (unfortunately, Ra'id simply disappeared),

  http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/general/2003/September/msg00088.html

Now, I realize that 'core' is ultimately responsible for this dilemma yet
we need everyone's thoughts and help to make this happen.  So I will
suggest the following, instead of talking in generalities give specific
suggestions and concrete ideas with tangible (ie. measurable) means to
gauge results.

Tell us how you envision 'core' doing a better job.