Re: arabic wikipedia

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 22:08, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Elisabeth Bauer <elian at djini dot de> wrote:
> > It's part of the international project wikipedia, an encyclopedia with
> > now almost 500 000 articles in more than 40 languages, written entirely
> > by volunteers. Its content is licensed under the GNU free documentation
> > license.

Salam,

I don't mean to be the devil's advocate here, but I really don't see why
Arabeyes needs to get involved in such a project. It is not under our
agenda and neither should it be.

When it comes to translations, our focus should always be on
localization of linux/unix applications and systems, not generic
websites. By no means am I belittling the effort at wikipedia, I think
it is a tremendous and amazing amount of work. All I am saying is, the
'Arabization' of its content should come from a group other than
Arabeyes.

To re-iterate, Arabeyes' goals are not to localize all Open Source
content (be it inside an application or on the web). It is to Arabize
Linux/Unix systems (and its accompanying applications, libraries and
utilities). I would rather we do not deviate from this. As we all know,
we are short-handed, so sticking to our original mandate would do us
more good than springing into every other 'translation' gig we find
needed.

Regards,

Mohammed Elzubeir