Re: Windogz & utf-8

On Sunday 18 April 2004 08:20 am, Mohammed Yousif wrote:
>   + on "Filter Criteria" choose from the first combo box "<any header>"
>      and type "content-type" on the first text box. (You could typed
>      the encoding name explicitly but not all emails set that value, this
>      criteria should match any email utf8, cp1256 or even iso-8859-1).
>   + on the "Filter Actions" choose from the combo box "pipe through" and
>      type "iconv -f WINDOWS-1256 -t UTF-8" on the text box to its left.
>   + Now press OK and you are done.

Thanks for the tip Mohammed. I just want to raise some issues regarding your
method and correct me if I am mistaken:

1. Some messages don't even have this Content-Type header like the messages
sent by Microsoft Outlook Express 5/6. This can be solved by typing another
header like "Received" on the "Filter Criteria" "contains" text box.

2. It's dangerous! Runnig the filter more than once will render the document
unreadable.

3. Won't it better if we can also add a rewrite header action to cope with
this change in the encoding so the auto encoding option won't give wrong
results? how?

Again thanks for this piece of info.

--

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distro/mdkarabicsupport.html
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA