Re: Windogz & utf-8

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 18:26, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 02:59:13PM +0300, Ahmad Al-rasheedan wrote:
> > Every time a friend that uses Windogz send me a message in Arabic I
> > have to switch my kmail to Windogz-1265 char set to read it and then
> > switch it back to utf-8. Any reason microsoft NOT using utf-8 by default?
>
> cause M$ suck ;)

Of course that is a question you already have the answer for. It is
because MS created CP-1256 (so it has a lot less incentive to switch
over to UTF-8). It makes perfect sense (to me).

Now, your question is probably -- what do I do about it? One option
(depending on how you check your mail) is to use procmail to run a
script which would check the filetype with file(1) and if not UTF-8 run
iconv(1) on it. I'm not sure that would yield 100% accuracy, but you
could give it a shot. I don't know how KMail works, but you could do the
same if it has a filtering option where you can plug in scripts to do
things for you before you read the mail.

Regards,
Mohammed Elzubeir