Re: The distro project: Linux Arabization Standards

--- Muhammad Alkarouri <karouri at uofk dot edu> wrote:
> For the current status of the las (well, linux arabization standards) go
> to (or is it goto?) http://www.uofk.edu/k/las/index.html
> There are many ideas that should be thought of more specifically

Very nicely done !!  A few comments,

 1. Your content should be numbers (the outline and contents) with section
    numbers and/or numerals to ease reference.
 2. You go to great lengths defining LAS, but it's not used subsequent
    to its definition.
    a. Instead of 'Arabization for Applications' call it instead
       'Arabization for Applications (LAS - Applications)'
    b. Instead of 'Arabization for Distributions' call it instead
       'Arabization for Distributions (LAS - Distributions)'
 3. The table mentioned in 'LAS - Applications' denotes a "category"
    column that doesn't seem to be used.
 4. On the distro page, list things in increasing order.  In other
    words start with platinum, then gold then silver.

*NOTE: LAS stands for 'Linux Arabization Standard' which I'm not sure
       fits into the scheme of "certification" or "critiquing".  I would
       suggest ASL (Arabization Standard Level) followed by the level
       (be it a number or platinum/gold/etc) or similar.

So, if my understanding is correct this document ought to be called
ASL_abstract.sgml since it's a reference (or abstract) of the work that
will take place, right ?  In other words, we'll have a ASL_apps.sgml
table which will denote the applications we'd like to see in all distros
and then subsequently a ASL_distro_mdk.sgml and ASL_distro_rh.sgml and
ASL_distro_debian.sgml, etc showing those distribution's true content
and adherence to our needs.  Is that correct ?

> 3. The current classification is for applications and distros. Should we
> make a third layer for application groups like KDE, GNOME? For example
> delegating certifying GNOME applications to the GNOME I18N instead of
> compiling a list that includes every GNOME app?

I'd vote against that.

> 4. Who are the arbitrators/judges on certification? The community? The
> distro project maintainers? The core team?

I'd say those interested in helping the effort - in short, the community
of active participants.

> 5. Is there any special treatment for Arabic-oriented distros with
> respect to certification, like Haydar Linux, Arabbix (btw,
> congratulations to Arabbix, but that merits a seperate e-mail:)?

Not really, they simply need to set the bar higher than most out there
in terms of Arabic support.  But all distros will have to undergo the
same scrutiny to be "certified" LAS.platinum/LAS.gold/LAS.silver.