Re: Arabeyes Marketing/PR Project Proposal

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 05:48:54PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> >  -- Arabeyes Marketing/Public Relations Team/Project
>
> I don't see this as a project per se.  Its an initiative and/or an entire
> meta-project requirement (yup, requirement - without it we're missing
> a large chunk of our mandate).

<nod>

> --- Ra'id Al-Jamali wrote:
> The same themes have been stirring up in my mind for the last
> couple of weeks (since I registered)... thanks for providing
> me with a springboard to finally jump in!

Good to know..

> OBJECTIVES (or Goals)
> What are PR efforts required for? And in what priority?
> In other words, is it to get more brains working on the project
> (developers, documenters, etc)? To secure material resources (web
> hosting, bandwidth, etc)? Get products distributed (via Debian,
> Red Hat, Mandrake, etc)? Is there a special issue that requires

All of the above?

> participation of other parties, such as definition of and agreement
> on a certain standard? This has already been touched upon, but I
> believe we need to be more specific in deliverables, and prioritise
> them in importance.

It is a little hard to put the above list in a prioritized list. They
each completement one another. Ie. If you get packages distributed in
major distributions, you are bound to get more brains involved (people
like to contribute to pre-existing functional projects).. We need to
secure the resources in order to be able to survive to begin with.. no
one will provide us with resources if we don't already have a worthy
project, etc etc. In other words, they all need to be tackled with equal
importance given to them.

> Objectives should be tangible, clear and directly contributing to
> the bottom line. They will also serve as a metric by which success
> of the PR process is measured.

I think Nadim's list is a good start.

> STAKEHOLDERS
> Who are the main stakeholders? How can they contribute to further the
> Arabeyes cause? How should each be approached (passive information,
> active engagement, etc..?

I am not sure who you can call a stakeholder. If this were a company,
you would say they are the shareholders. The stakeholders in Arabeyes'
case are the contributing members. I emphasise on 'contributing' because
a member who does not contribute cannot count. Other than that, there
are companies who would benefit greatly from our work here, but they
neither contribute back nor acknowledge the benefits they receive.

> I very much see this as an area where I can contribute to, both locally
> in Oman and as a member of Arabeyes. However, being a newcomer you can
> see that I currently have more questions than answers, and would therefore
> much appreciate steer and guidance from others members on these issues.

I would start with the list Nadim has created in his reply to you.
However, I would say if you are serious (and you sound serious), then
please do go for it. Spear-head the effort, be creative and don't
hesitate to create your own agenda (as long as it is well known of
course).

Regads