Re: some general points

--- Moustafa Elqabbany <elqabbany at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> This is doable in vim?  vim supports multiple fonts
> and formatting (bold, underline), etc in a *wysiwyg*
> manner?

No it does not.  I didn't know that's what you were after.

> Maybe katoob, but not vim.  However, I tried
> OpenOffice on the Arabbix cd and most of the fonts
> looked the same.  I didn't find anything that actually
> produced professional looking text.  I could read
> Arabic pages with Mozilla but they were ugly.  The
> Arabbix cd needs to have some pretty fonts by default.

Well, then this is a font issue - the point is what you
require is already doable (thanks to various efforts and
people for making it happen) and you ought to simply find
a font that suites your needs.  You might want to look at
Arabeyes' Khotot project ,

  http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Khotot

and to see a sample collage,

  http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/misc/pics/ae_fonts_ttf1.png
  http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/misc/pics/kacst_fonts_1.4.png

else you can use any non-free font your heart desires (from
microzift or other sources).